Before installing EndNote X8, it's recommended that you uninstall any previous versions:
- Back up any existing EndNote library files and any customized content files (e.g. styles, connection files, and filters).
- Close all open programs, and then uninstall any older versions by selecting "Add/Remove Programs" from the Windows Control Panel (or trash the old folders on a Mac).
- Once any older versions have been uninstalled, run the EndNote installer. This will create a new EndNote program folder, and you can then move any backed up library or content files into this new folder.
Installing EndNote X8
- Click the appropriate link in the "Download EndNote" box on the right side of this page to download the version of the software you need.
- If prompted, log in with your NYU NetID and password. NYU Med/Langone affiliates: please consult this guide for access to EndNote via the NYU Health Sciences Library license.
- After you've logged into your NYU account, you should reach a Google Drive page that says "No preview available". Click the button that says "Download". This will download either a .dmg file (Mac) or a zipped folder (Windows/PC).
- If you are installing EndNote for Mac, you will need to navigate to where the installer (.dmg file) was saved to your computer. Usually this will be your "My Downloads" folder. Double-click on the file to being installation. By default, the EndNote X8 software will be installed in your computer's Applications folder. Your EndNote library and data folder will be saved to My Documents.
If you are installing EndNote for Windows/PC, you will need to navigate to where the downloaded folder was saved to your computer (usually this will be your "Downloads" folder). Right-click on the folder and choose "Extract All". Once the files are extracted, run the EndNote installer (double-click the ENX8Inst.msi file). By default, the EndNote X8 software will install in your computer's Program Files, and your EndNote library and data folder will be saved in Documents.
Note: If you are prompted for a product key, make sure the folder you downloaded is unzipped before running the installer. You can do this by right-clicking on the folder that you downloaded, then choosing "Extract All".
If you have any trouble, please contact Margaret Smith (NYC campus); Amani Magid (NYUAD campus); Qinghua Xu (NYU Shanghai campus)