What Is EndNote?
NYU Libraries supports the use of EndNote desktop software for managing bibliographic citations. Using EndNote, you can transfer groups of references retrieved from online bibliographic databases into your EndNote database and create bibliographies in a variety of formats using a variety of word processors. EndNote X7 is currently available for PC and Mac.
View a brief introduction to EndNote from the publisher, Thomson Reuters.
How Do I Get EndNote?
Before installing EndNote X7, it's recommended that you uninstall any previous versions:
- Back up any existing EndNote library files and any customized content files (e.g. styles, connection files, and filters).
- Close all open programs, and then uninstall any older versions by selecting "Add/Remove Programs" from the Windows Control Panel (or trash the old folders on a Mac).
- Once any older versions have been uninstalled, run the EndNote installer. This will create a new EndNote program folder, and you can then move any backed up library or content files into this new folder.
Installing EndNote X7
1. Log in to your NYU email account (these files are restricted so that they can only be downloaded by the NYU community).
2. Click the appropriate link in the "Download EndNote" box on the right side of this page to download the version of the software you need.
3. The download link will take you to a Google Drive page that says "No preview available". Click the button that says "Download". This will download either a .dmg file (Mac) or a zipped folder (Windows/PC).
4. If you are installing EndNote for Mac, you will need to navigate to where the installer (.dmg file) was saved to your computer. Usually this will be your "My Downloads" folder. Double-click on the file to being installation. By default, the EndNote X7 software will be installed in your computer's Applications folder. Your EndNote library and data folder will be saved to My Documents.
If you are installing EndNote for Windows/PC, you will need to navigate to where the downloaded folder was saved to your computer (usually this will be your "Downloads" folder). Right-click on the folder and choose "Extract All". Once the files are extracted, run the EndNote installer (double-click the EndNoteX7.msi file). By default, the EndNote X7 software will install in your computer's Program Files, and your EndNote library and data folder will be saved in Documents.
Note: If you are prompted for a product key, make sure the folder you downloaded is unzipped before running the installer. You can do this by right-clicking on the folder that you downloaded, then choosing "Extract All".
If you are prompted for a product key: make sure the folder you downloaded is unzipped before running the installer. You can do this by right-clicking on the folder that you downloaded, then choosing "Extract All". Then run the installer again.
If unzipping doesn't help: create a new folder on your desktop. Drag the installer (.msi) and license (.dat) files from the EndNote X7 folder that you downloaded into this new folder. Then run the installer from the new folder.