Creating a reading list with persistent URLs
How do I create a reading list (with links to full text) in NYU Classes?
You need to generate persistent URLs for the articles & ebooks you want to include in the reading list, then you need to paste the persistent URLs into NYU Classes. (Why persistent URLs?)
A persistent URL is a link to licensed content made available through NYU Libraries' subscription services. Using a persistent URL ensures (1) that you are following best practices for fair use of copyrighted materials and (2) that you're providing students with a dependable link that you can reuse semester to semester. For more information about copyright and fair use, see Educational and Research Uses of Copyrighted Materials Policy Statement and Copyright Basics.
Where in NYU Classes can I paste the persistent URLs?
Anywhere you choose, but a suggested method is to create a Reading List subfolder within the Resources folder of NYU Classes. Here's how:
- Log in to your NYU Classes page.
- Click on the Resources link on the left menu bar. (show me)
- Next to the top level folder icon, use the Add dropdown menu. Choose Create Folder and name it Reading List. (show me)
- Next to the Reading List folder icon, use the Add dropdown menu. Choose Add Web Links (URLs). (show me)
- Insert the persistent URL (see instructions below). Give the article a brief name. In the description field, you can put the correctly formatted full citation. (show me)
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 above for each article you want to put in the Reading List folder.
How do I create persistent URLs?
Copyright and Fair Use
Need to be more informed about copyright and fair use? Try these links: