Search for books, journals, videos, etc. in our local libraries and special collections.
This is a research guide for students of NYU's Philosophy department. The above tabs will direct you to lists and descriptions of specific resources available to you here in Bobst or elsewhere on the web.
Reference - Covers dictionaries, encyclopedias, directories, and indexes.
Subject-Specific Resources - The most extensive section. Covers resources for aesthetics, analytical philosophy, epistemology, ethics, existentialism, feminist theory, logic, metaphysics, phenomenology, language, mind, and political philosophy. Sub-pages include:
- Cultural and Religious Philosophy - Covers ancient philosophy, Asian philosophy, Jewish philosophy, Islamic philosophy, and the philosophy of religion.
- History and Philosophers - Sources on the history of philosophy and philosophers themselves.
- Scientific Philosophy - Covers the philosophy of science, bioethics, and cognitive science.
Bibliographies and Research Guides - Resources that will point you to more resources.
Journals - Current publications that can be found in Bobst and/or online via e-Journals.
Internet Resources - External links to other online guides and resources.
How to Find Books and Journals in BobCat by Subject
BobCat can be searched for materials in philosophy with a "Subject Heading (LCSH)" search. Generally the subject headings follow this pattern:
- Philosophy, American
- Philosophy, Buddhist
- Philosophy, Chinese -- 19th century
- Philosophy, English -- 13th century
- History -- Philosophy
- Law -- Philosophy
- Science -- Philosophy
If you are not sure of the exact LC subject heading use the keyword search.
Noted series for the study of philosophy are:
- Blackwell Companions to Philosophy
- Blackwell Philosopher Dictionaries
- Cambridge Companions to Philosophy
- Social Theory
- Routledge History of Philosophy
They can be found by searching the "Series Title" field.