The Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation is a non-profit organization which advocates for the preservation of architecture and culture in several neighborhoods of Lower Manhattan. It's a rich source of information about the history and built environment of our own NYU neighborhood.
This photograph by Claire Tankel, taken on November 1st, 1958 shows village resident and activist Stanley Tankel driving his car through the Washington Square Arch on the day that the square was closed to cars. The sign on Tankel's car reads: "The Last Car Through Washington Square". Photo courtesy of the Village Preservation Archives.