Clinical guidelines and other sources of best practices are a source of evaluated synthesized evidence. Some sources:
DATABASES AND META-SEARCH TOOLS:
- Search PubMed, use the filter for Publication Type: "Practice guideline" .
(Example, search: asthma Filters: Guideline; Child: birth-18 years)
- Search CINAHLplus, use the filter for Publication Type: "Practice Guidelines"
- Clinical Key, filter for the document Type: Guidelines
- Nursing Reference Center Plus use filter for Material Type: "guidelines"
- Trip Database filter for Evidence Type: "guidelines"
- NICE Clinical Guidelines (UK NHS)
- Search PsycINFO by index term "treatment guidelines" or for phrase "practice guideline*"
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Composed of 27 Institutes and Centers. Steps to search for practice guidelines within NIH's Institutes:
1) Select the Institute that pertains to your topic, e.g., select National Cancer Institute.
2) Search for practice guidelines by searching the websites of the Institutes within the National Institutes of Health network. Try using each website's "Search" feature to look for "clinical practice guidelines," "practice guidelines," or "guidelines."
COLLECTIONS in Books and E-Books:
- Search NYU Library's Bobcat for "practice guidelines"
- Search Access Medicine, limit to Quick Reference--guidelines