1. To scope for Background information start with the Find Books/E Books tab above, then scroll to locate an aggregator like:
- GALE Virtual Reference Center (search across virtual encyclopedias for terms like "hospice" "medicare," )
- Search an aggregator of encyclopedias like Credo Reference. (hint: search "medicare hospice benefits"
- Search in full text of e-books on the Ebook Central platform. Try "medical marijuana pain"
2.Locate Foreground Information to bring your search up to date using journal articles. Use the FIND ARTICLES/DATABASES tab above to search:
- Use the "suggest subject terms" box, above the text entry field, to help locate the standard term for a topic. (Cancer maps to neoplasms. Marijuana maps to Cannabis OR Medical Marijuana ) Use a limit to a "Review" article to find a summary.
PubMed/Medline @ NYU:
- Locate a recent summary of a topic by locating a "Review" article.
- Example, in PubMed, search for marijuana AND cancer pain,
- Or do a better search using MeSH terms: cannabis AND neoplasms AND pain
- Next, use the limits on left to restrict to a "Review Article."
Use the Advanced Search feature to locate both newspapers and journals:
- try a Subject search: Medical Marijuana AND pain
- try a Subject search: Medical Marijuana AND cancer
- try a Subject search: Cannabis AND pain
- try a Subject search: hospice care AND medicare
- try a broader Subject search: hospice care AND (medicare OR health care policy)
3. Filtering in databases: https://guides.nyu.edu/filtering
4. Saving search histories https://guides.nyu.edu/saving