For assistance, reach out by chat below or submit a request
We can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you've met with us before, tell us how we're doing
Chat Service Staffed Hours: Spring 2021
Mondays: 12pm - 6pm
Tuesdays: 12pm - 6pm
Wednesdays: 12pm - 6pm
Thursdays: 12pm - 6pm
Fridays: 12pm - 6pm
ATLAS.ti is a qualitative research tool that can be used for coding and analyzing transcripts & field notes, building literature reviews, creating network diagrams, and data visualization.
NYU Students are able to access ATLAS.ti for free via the the Virtual Computing Lab (VCL).
Warning regarding the VCL: Please be sure you are familiar with successfully saving your when working on the VCL before you begin coding. We have several incidents of loss to data due to issues in saving materials, therefore it is best for users to export the project bundle if they want a copy on their personal computer. We recommend you access the VCL using Chrome or Firefox, given we have had issues with the Safari browser.
NYU community members can access ATLAS.ti for free on the 5th floor of Bobst Library in the Data Services Lab.
For Comprehensive information, please see the NYU IT ATLAS.ti page.
To set-up a team project, you need to proceed as follows:
1. CREATE MASTER PROJECT: One person sets up a Master Project and adds all documents.
2. DISTRIBUTE MASTER PROJECT TO TEAM: This project needs to be saved, EXPORTED and distributed to all team members.
3. EACH TEAM MEMBER CREATES AN INDIVIDUAL USER NAME: When starting ATLAS.ti, you will be asked to create a user account. If you want to change it later or need to switch user, see the SWITCH USER / USER MANAGEMENT option on the Home Tab.
4. MERGING SUB-PROJECTS: To merge the projects of each of the individual participant (sub-projects) on the research team with the master project, each team member EXPORTS their project sub-project and sends it to the project administrator with the mater project for merging.
5. PROJECT MERGE: To merge a HU/Project, this feature is available under FILE in the Backstage area. All items that are the same will be merge, all items that are different will be added.
According to Atlas, merging projects between macOS and Windows is possible:
To import your project from Atlas 7 into ATLAS.ti 8,
In ATLAS.ti 7.5 select Project Export --> Transfer Bundle (for Mac & A8). This creates a single-file copy of your project.
In ATLAS.ti 8, select “Import Project” from the start screen.
IMPORTANT: While project transfer from ATLAS.ti 7 Windows to ATLAS.ti 8 is fully supported, there is no backwards compatibility with ATLAS.ti 7.
To transfer your project to another computer with either ATLAS.ti 8 or ATLAS.t Mac installed, simply export it via File --> Export.
Import iTunes Voice Memos as (.M4A) files into Atlas! According to the Atlas software we have installed in Data Services, these are the audio/video file types that Atlas supports:
*.AIF, *.AIFC, *.AIFF, *.ASF, *.AU, *.AVI, *.DVR-MS, *.IVF, *.M1V, *.M2V, *.M4A, *.M4B, *.M4V, *.MID, *.MIDI, *.MOV, *.MP2, *.MP2V, *.MP3, *.MP4, *.MP4V, *.MPA, *.MPE, *.MPEG, *.MPG, *.MPV2, *.RMI, *.SND, *.WAV, *.WM, *.WMA, *.WMV